Advice & Frequently Asked Question
We are happy to offer advice over the telephone or if you prefer, we can send one of our engineers to diagnose any faults professionally and most important, safely.*
Before you call out an engineer you can carry out some simple checks yourself. Only carry out these checks if you are confident that you know what you are doing:-
1. Are the heating and hot water timers turned on?
2. Is the pilot light on?(Not applicable on boilers with electronic ignition)
3. Is the gas turned on?
4. Is the boiler pressure properly set?
5. Is the thermostat turned down?
6. Has someone switched off the power in error?
7. Has the fuse tripped at the boiler?
8. Has a fuse blown or RCD?
9. Is the central heating pump operating?
10. Are the radiators Cold at the top? - This is possibly due to air trapped in the radiator and may be solved by bleeding the radiator.
11. When was the last time the boiler was serviced?
If any of the above do not work then please contact us and we will arrange for one of our plumbers to visit and solve the problem.
What should you do if you smell gas?
Turn off the gas supply at the meter. Open windows but do not turn any electrical items on or off.
Call Transco on 0800 111 999 in the first instance. If the leak is on your pipework/equipment (the customer side of the meter) Contact us and we will be happy to send out an engineer to correct the problem. Sometimes a boiler fault can be caused in very cold weather by water freezing in the condensate pipe click on the following link for more information: Advice for frozen condensate pipes
*Engineers time to site is chargable. Please ask for our engineers charging rates.